Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Is it true that during a women's menstrual cycle cysts on

Customer Question

Is it true that during a women's menstrual cycle cysts on breasts are likely to form
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Not cysts per se, but fibrocystic disease of the breast--lumpy bumpy benign changes in the breast--can become more prominent with the cycle

Let me know if you need more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had a spot that turned out to be a cyst after an ultrasound was done. I didn't know if my cycle had anything to do with it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

No, if it was a cyst it's been there for a while and it has nothing to do with your cycle. But the good news is that cysts are benign

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why do they form? Is there anything I can do to prevent them

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

There are no specific causes but avoiding caffeine and chocolate in the diet has been found to keep them from forming

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it bad that I can't feel them? How are u supposed to know if there are changes if I can't even feel them even after I know they are there

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. If you had a mammogram and/or an ultrasound what were the reports?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Had both. They verbally told me after ultrasound it was a cyst

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Then it must be a very small cyst if you can't feel it. Nothing worrisome about that and so long as you do self-exams and have regular follow up mammograms you really don't need to worry about breast cancer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When they did the initial mammogram they saw a spot with smooth edges. Then they took a deeper pic to flatten it more and it thinNed out but was still a shadow. Then ultrasound showed fluid I guess. The tech said it looked like a cyst. She said there were a few of them there. Radiologist then said I guess cyst and said I was good for a year

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK So what more can I tell you here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I had my yearly in July my doctor did an exam and didn't feel anything. Is this normal for them to just pop up that quick? Do they go away on their own? My husband and in tried feeling around where they did the ultrasound and we can't feel them. That's kinda worrisome. When they tell you to dons elf exams and you can't even feel it when you know they are there

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

This is called fibrocystic disease--lumpy bumpy breasts that sometimes cause small cysts but nothing to do with cancer. You're being over worried about this