Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

Senior social clubs sabotage health Diabetes Alzheimers: My

Customer Question

senior social clubs sabotage health Diabetes Alzheimers:
My dad as well as my uncle are subjected to ignorance by those who walk this earth without doubts about what they think is not important. I just got my dads lab results from a new Dr and his Cortisol in a now in a normal range as well as his good cholesterol and bad cholesterol and A1C is all under control. So the social club for seniors serves nothing but pasta and bread with two tiny meatballs and they keep offering him candy to which he keeps saying ok and eats it. There goes 3 months of work to slow down and reduce his Alzheimers symptoms. He's standing straight, has good posture, and plays ping pong 2 times a week and uses the stepper. But he is getting neck inflammation and losing energy because he also has 5 stents placed last year.
The seniors totally overrode my request to not offer the candy every 20 minutes. They are all fat and hunched over ....
I don't want to resort to injections and I want him to not feel NOT micromanaged or like some fanatic. They are not educated on this. The MD said Alzheimers is really diabetes.
So is there something I can give my Dad to absorb the refined sugar on the days he would go to this social club to eat pasta and play poker which could be every day?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if his hemoglobin a1c is under control and his fasting glucose levels are normal, then his pancreas is working properly and making insulin when he needs it.

when he eats pasta and candies, his blood sugar does go up to possibly 130 or 140 or so, but his pancreas produces insulin to help bring down his blood glucose levels.

so it doesn't sound like your father has diabetes at this point.

if he walks and exercises some after he eats or plays some pingpong, this can help bring down his blood glucose levels as well.

but it is a good sign he hasn't developed diabetes at his age of 88, even with going to the senior social clubs.

that is a good social outlet for him. a little pasta will not give him diabetes if he walks and avoids being overweight

he should work towards eating a salad and fruits and vegetables at this next meal after pasta to help bring down his glucose levels

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have gave more info;
His diabetes when he's at his home is 200-375....
He takes in the AM-Glipizide, Januvia, baby aspirin,..
At night w dinner he takes Metropolol, Losartan, Ubiquinol, and the Fla cardio stopped the statin while the cardio back home puts him back on it. His LDL is good and HDL is 45 now up from 42 up from 38..
His LDL was 88 when he had the stents placed.
His Trigliceride is normal now.
When I manage his diet with more protein, and fish oil, coconut oil, his blood glucose is 98-160..... Sometimes he is weak and lethargic so I'm confused because the blood glucose will go up with a big plate of pasta and 3-6 pieces of chocolate Hersey bars after wards during poker.
So will this scenario two days per week begin to inflame his arteries again and create more cholesterol and plaque to calcify his arteries and cause his neck arthritis to flare up or can I give him a capsule of carb blocker that morning or before I drop him off to the social club?
The doctor and the physical therapist said the high cortisol causes the inflammation. The high cortisol is caused by the excess carbs in the morning...
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/the-truth-about-starch-blockers

there is no good data that these "carb clockers" will help prevent plaques along his arteries or help prevent worsening of his diabetes in the future.

carb blockers contain amylase

you can talk to his doctors about these supplements

most likely they will not harm him

but the data supporting their use is limited to none.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well measuring the glucose with the test trip a few times daily would reveal if the carb blockers did any blocking.Is data needed for a simple test like that?I know if I test my dads blood glucose at 5pm and it's 175 and then he excersizes on the stepper immediately after for 4 minutes, and I test his blood glucose again after that, it goes down to 145... That's 30 points .The same is done using carb blockers. I just am afraid of what to do if they are too effective at taking the sugar out of his digestion and then he's too weak.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you can check his glucose levels with or without the carb blockers.

I suspect it will not show a significant consistent difference.

exercise for 4 minutes can bring down his glucose levels from 175 to 145.

if the carb blockers also do this, then keep giving him the carb blockers the days he goes to the senior club

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, sorry to lose track of this thread. To clarify; If my dad has a croissant and coffee for breakfast or snack at senior center ,,, is it better to just let him have the croissant and coffee and push his next meal as far away as possible or is it better to try and dump some more harder to digest food into his stomach like fat and vegetables or protein to slow down the digestion of the croissant? I can either have him sustain himself on just the croissant and coffee so his body uses the calories from the croissant or add those other foods I mentioned in the hope that the stomach will NOT be able to digest the croissant carbs and have to work harder so the croissant won't raise his blood sugar and not worry about sending him with kidney bean supplement. I just worry that if there is more food in addition to the croissant, he will simply store the excess and LDL will get created and inflame his arteries and stents more than if he were to just have one single croissant. Hope that makes sense.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

croissant is flower, sugar and butter.

not a great snack.

better to snack on something with fiber and protein like an apple and peanut butter

or greek yogurt and honey and oats, or greek yogurt and fruit preserves

or banana and almond butter.

if he gets a croissant and coffee for snack and he enjoys it, let him eat it.

don't stress about giving him more supplements.

you don't need to be micromanaging his snacks.

let me know if you have other questions.