Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been constipated. I had to cancel my cruise and ended

Customer Question

I have been constipated for 2months. I had to cancel my cruise and ended up in the ER on last Friday. I said that I must have an impaction, or adhesions or scar tissue from my previous adominal surgeries. They did a CT scan on July 8th and said I had a fatty inflamed liver, and diverticulosis. They put me on Linzess and it did nothing. I took 2 Ducculox and 2 stool softeners for 2 weeks (trying to get cleaned out before my vacation) with NO movement. The ER put me on a liquid diet and Cipro and Flagel since Friday and said that I should have a normal bm by yesterday. NO LUCK. I have had very little stool come out and I'm having a lot of gas and pains in lower abdomen. ER Dr said no more enemas and no more laxatives. HELP, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
I just called my DR and she just said go back to ER. Should I try liquid diet a few more days, and hope the diverticulitis calms down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The antibiotics still need some time to be fully effective.

That said, you need a colonoscopy both to remove any impaction you may have and to see if there's something else like adhesions blocking your colon. The liquid diet is fine for now but I really think you need to get the colonoscopy as soon as possible so you should get back to the ER

Let me know if you need more information please