DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine at Self employed
61885400

My husband recently died of leukemia, but had contracted

Customer Question

My husband recently died of leukemia, but had contracted c.diff followed by Guillain-Barre Syndrome. The GBS kept him from receiving a bone marrow transplant, because he experienced total paralysis. Question: Was the GBS caused by the c.diff?
Category: Health
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am sorry to read that you lost your husband!

Nobody can tell for sure if the GBS was induced by C. difficile. It is not a regular complication of this infection.

We know that people got GBS after vaccinations or flu.We think it is triggered by a strained immune system. Since your husband'a immune system was not only strained by this infection but by his leukaemia and chemotherapy it will have been the combination of all that made GBS possible. I hope you can cope!