Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Story short. I started getting vertigo spells several years

Customer Question

Hello all. Long story short. I started getting vertigo spells several years ago. I also had headaches periodically. I took time off work and had many tests done (eeg, ekg, eng, blood testing, hearing testing, and mri. The only finding was a pineal cyst and a small pituitary tumor and heart murmur. I saw an endocrinologist and a neurosurgeon in regards ***** ***** and they said just keep an eye on them and that they aren't contributing to my symptoms. They came to the conclusion that my situation is related to Migraine Associated Vertigo and they put me on Topamax which made me feel drugged so I started using Nortriptyline. Well all of a sudden I am feeling dizzy & experiencing vertigo again. I am also feeling very off balance all day long. I recently found out I have been grinding my teeth in my sleep as well and now use a guard. Can anyone tell me what I am suffering from? I am now experiencing anxiety as a result of vertigo spells how can i overcome this
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I haven't experienced any injuries in the past that could contribute to vertigo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am now also afraid to drive far distances and feel very embarrassed and worried when I am in public. I feel like the visual stimuli is making me feel more dizzy and anxious when I am driving so therefore I avoid it altogether and the problem is I have never had this problem before and I love going places. I hope I can overcome this!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I haven't been experiencing headaches lately so what is causing the vertigo? :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have noticed that my neck has been hurting though. It has felt tense.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Well it sounds that you have been thoroughly tested . This new episode of vertigo>>> how long has this been occuring?? What I am getting at is trying to get better idea if how continuous your vertigo has been vs intermittent ....your history goes back years I understand ...

Has your vertigo been more brief episodes ?? The conclusion of migraine as cause makes me think your past history may have been sporadic in nature. At times migraine type phenomenon such as neurological symptoms may occur during a phase of arterial constriction...headaches would usually occur later in phase of arterial dilation ...that is when you may be more likely to get a pounding type headache ...

If you have had a change in pattern of the vertigo then a different mechanism or cause might need to be considered ...it may be due to inner ear viral infection ( labyrinthitis) or inflammation of nerve's to the vestibular system which is part of your sense of balance . Too high of pressure of the inner ear is a possible cause ( Meniere's disease) past tests have seemed to rule against that possible cause in the past .Benign positional vertigo is a type that may be brought on by change of head position but usually settles down within 30 minutes or so but may be recurrent

So the sense of vertigo if ongoing may be helped by medicine Antivert in some cases ...this may cause drowsiness in most people as main side effect ....

I would advise follow up on your vertigo with an ENT specialist to recheck your case and try to help....

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further information or questions.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD