Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been diagnosed with secondary hypothyroidism with a

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with secondary hypothyroidism with a Bio T panel and the treatments are actually making me feel worse. I am more sluggish than ever, I have never been anything close to overweight until this past 2 months, I have gained 20 lbs over this past year and am 48 years old. Also been recently pelleted with Testosterone and have felt awful. Diet/exercise is not an issue as I was a college athlete and have always worked out and eaten healthy. I am a bit confused about my diagnosis.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Do you know what your labs showed?? Hypothyroidism is marked by a high TSH number (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) because the pituitary gland makes this and is TRYING to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce more....the higher the TSH the more HUNGRY your body would be for adequate thyroid hormone. They usually measure the thyroid hormones T3 and T4 as well. (There are various panels used) Often people confuse the TSH and what it means .....I don't know if this has you confused as to your diagnosis or some other reason???

What medications are you on currently and what dose??

Has there been a change in your activity level in the past year??

Have you been treated with steroids such as prednisone for any reason?

Is it possible that you might have a sleep disorder ?? Obstructive sleep apnea may be of higher prevalence in your age group and more so after weight gain. It causes fatigue and might be an aspect of you not feeling as,well possibly....

I take it you are diagnosed with low Testosterone as well?? How long have you been diagnosed with low Testosterone ?

When was your level last checked?

Note that low Testosterone or hypothyroidism or sleep apnea may all cause fatigue.

It is sounding that perhaps your dose may not yet be adequate for you as to the thyroid or testosterone as a strong possibility.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or information to share. I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD