Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 32 year old male. I have been experiencing left arm

Customer Question

I am a 32 year old male. I have been experiencing left arm pit pain, left elbow pain, and left thumb tip numbness. Could this be anything I should worry about? Will I get the feeling back in my thumb tip?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

How long have you had these symptoms? Pain or soreness of the armpit area may be caused by reactive lymph nodes which are plentiful in the armpit area....the left elbow pain -- what part or aspect of the elbow feels affected? The middle of elbow---and front or anterior?

The numbness of the left thumb tip is an unusual distribution for numbness. It sounds thatyou May have a nerve impingment. This could be in the arm / brachial plexus/ or neck as possible.

I would suggest that you see a neurologist for evaluation. The pains of left armpit--left elbow--and numbness of the left thumb may be related. It sounds that your symptoms appeared together. So I think that this warrants further investigation. I think primary care doctor would be ok but neurologist to check and pursue cause more ideal.

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Symptoms for 3 days. No injury. Compression of the tip of the thumb is difficult. The anterior part of the elbow is where the pain is located. Thank you for your response and time.

Hello again,

It may be a nerve entrapment or compression. This could be involving the median nerve near the elbow as a possibility....numbness of thumb can be an aspect of wrist level compression with carpal tunnel syndrome but other aspects of your symptoms don't seem to fit well with that cause.

I can't really identify your cause without benefit of exam . You may need exam and possibly other tests such as nerve conduction studies.

I can't reliably offer you any accurate real prognosis without knowing the cause BUT a hopeful clue for you would be the short duration of symptoms thus far ....only 3 days to date would seem more promising for probable good outcome vs longer duration....

So At this point I do think it best to submit to exam and hopefully get checked by neurologist soon.

Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD