Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I'm worried I have a burning sensation on my scalp where

Customer Question

Hi I'm worried I have a burning sensation on my scalp where it's gotten to the point I lost my hair I tried hair and skin vitamins and oils and nothing seems to help with the pain the only thing I noticed is if I drink a vitamin e capsule it kinda helps releasing the pain
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are you on any medicines? Were any investigations done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My primary care doctor did blood work and everything is fine she states it's stress and anxiety I do intend to diet alot and often lose weight really fast but I'm not sure

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

I agree that one of the possibility is anxiety as it is difficult to correlate burning sensation in scalp and hair fall. There is just simple dandruff which can cause both. Shampoos used for dandruff (tar based are good) would be able to take care of it.

In females the common causes of hair loss are following;

1) hormonal

2) aging

3) genetic

4) scalp problems like infections, allergies

5) vitamin deficiency

6) iron deficiency

7) hypothyroidism (low thyroid functions)

8) medications

9) telogen effluvium; recovery is spontaneous and typically occurs in 3-6 months

In your age group hormonal problems should be ruled out if the scalp local problems can be excluded by the physical examination, as the first step for the evaluation. Increase level of androgens can cause hair fall in females and the characteristic of this fall is generalized fall from whole of the scalp then the isolated area wise fall. You can ask your physician to get the hormonal estimation of thyroid and androgens. Continue with the vitamins and add iron supplements to it. Biotin (a vitamin) is available over the counter at health stores and you may start it deficiency of which have been associated with baldness. If needed, your doctor may prescribe, Minoxidil, which may help hair to grow. A medication called as Spironolactone may help if hair loss is caused by too much male hormones (androgens).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done