Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My left thumb and forefinger have been trembling or 3 days

Customer Question

my left thumb and forefinger have been trembling for 2 or 3 days if I hold them in a fist my fist trembles. Knee felt weak/painfull and failed me today when trying to stand up. Feel tired and like i'm not getting enough sleep. I don't feel hungry and am easily full. Period has been late for 1 week every month for the past few months.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

These are odd scattered symptoms. I would advise that you get a check up with your doctor or a neurologist to review your symptoms would be ideal. It sounds mild in terms of duration and thus may not be that significant and certainly hopefully this is the case for you. The symptoms that you describe could reflect abnormal signs of muscular weakness however.

Feeling tired however is a very common symptom and spans the normal tired into the abnormal which may correspond with other problems. The list of possible causes of FATIGUE is huge.. a general exam and some baseline blood work would be a good idea for you at this point I think... CBC ( complete blood count) and serum iron and thyroid function and B12 level may be checked among other tests that your doctor may want to include...

The lack of hunger (anorexia) may be caused by similar problems as nausea and this may most often be of a gastrointestinal nature( gastritis or ulcer disease are common) Other possible causes may include urinary tract infections or inflammation of the liver ( hepatitis in different forms and causes ) The feeling full early is medically called "early satiety" and this is more often a gastrointestinal cause...

There are many ways in which these symptoms may inter-relate. Ulcers of the stomach may decrease the production in the stomach of intrinsic factor and this may lower your absorption of B12 and that may cause neurological symptoms and fatigue and anemia FOR EXAMPLE ...

So I think that you need more in depth medical evaluation of these symptoms. You might also have a neurology consult for the perceived weakness as this is a concerning TYPE symptom... you may warrnat evaluation to include an MRI of the brain to help rule out a problem such as MS...

The short duration or fleeting nature it sounds of your weakness type feelings are in your favor and reduce the potential I would say as to a serious problem such as MS but this type problem is on the radar due to the type of weakness that you describe..

So physical exam to start and a good panel of blood work to check CBC, serum iron , B12, metabolic profile to include renal and liver function and electrolytes and thyroid screening would be part of the work up in my opinion needed.. other testing may be added and might even include an MRI of brain to help rule out MS as a cause of the weakness type symptom...

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD