Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I've been feeling lousy few weeks. Extreme nausea. I'm a

Customer Question

I've been feeling lousy for a few weeks. Extreme nausea. I'm a 36-year-old female and have not had vomiting or diarrhea. The doctor covers for my primary while she is on vacation call to tell me that potassium is 3.2 and that I should eat A diet rich in potassium for seven days and repeat the lab. I still feel lousy. How low is low enough to require an infusion?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Normally, your blood potassium level is 3.6 to 5.2mmol/L . A very low potassium level (less than 2.5 mmol/L) can be life-threatening and may require infusion.

Usually dehydration,diarrhea,vomiting,water pills,laxative use cause low potassium levels.

As you have no vomiting,diarrhea and history of medications use then such low level can be caused due to low potassium in your diet.

As you have already taken potassium rich diet and still feel weakness then other causes like Viral infection,Thyroid dysfunction,adrenal fatigue,Gastroesophageal reflux should be ruled out.

You should try OTC Prilosec.

Also try Oral rehydration solution.

Continue to eat nutritious diet.

And if your symptoms'll persist then consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.

If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than giveus poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I do have Gerd and it has been severely lateLy. I take 150 mg three times a day now . I am also beginning to be concerned that maybe all of the little elements I've had over the past few years are all tied together. I have been diagnosed with insulin resistant polycystic ovarian syndrome. I suffered from infertility for years. I've also been told I have elevated cortisol levels. I sleep terribly and was told I have sleep apne. I was just told that I have to go in for a Nother oh GTT as my blood sugar was high with this test also. For a few years I've been concerned that I may have some form of questions. I have a lifelong asthmatic that has taken lots of corticosteroids and had previously had osteopenia and a tibial fracture in my 20s
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Well as you describe,all such conditions can any way cause such weakness,lethargy and fatigue.

You should see an Endocrinologist for proper management.

If you are satisfied with our conversation then bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.

Feel free for further queries.

Hope this helps.