Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am going through a stressful time and I've noticed slight

Customer Question

I am going through a stressful time and I've noticed slight pains where my heart is and a numb feeling in my left arm. I am also not sleeping that well. Any advice is appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. This could just be from stress and anxiety but the numbness in your arm could be from a disk problem in your neck. Heart pain from angina or a heart attack usually causes left arm pain, not numbness.

That said, there's no way I can tell you absolutely this isn't angina or a threatened heart attack so the best thing for you to do is to see a doctor for an exam, an EKG, an echocardiogram, and perhaps an MRI of your cervical spine

Let me know please if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any other symptoms if it was a disk problem in my neck? The numbness is in my lower half of the arm. What other possible reasons could cause this. I do sit at a door in work and my left side is nearest the door. I have noticed aswell at times I feel stressed my arm will be numb.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

You can have that even with no neck problem or pain. If the numbness is from the elbow down it could be from a radial or ulnar nerve entrapment and that would take nerve conduction studies to confirm. But with stress comes hyperventilation which can also cause that kind of numbness. I just can't in good conscience tell you not to get this checked out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I go to my nurse to get the tests done and does it cost me since I work?
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry--your nurse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The local nurse does some tests. Should I make an appointment with my gp or the hospital?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

You need to see your GP for him to decide what tests need to be done. For the cardiac workup that might cost several hundred dollars. The MRI might run you over $300. The nerve conduction studies would cost around $300