A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My ast is 35 my alt is 72 and my ggt is 153. Is that gh

Customer Question

hi my ast is 35 my alt is 72 and my ggt is 153. Is that high considering I drank a beer the night before my test?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for requesting me.

Generally we don't worry about liver enzymes until they are 2.5 to 3 times the upper limit of normal. Thus, if normal is 0-40, then we hardly take notice until the reading is 100-120. Even then, we wait 3-4 weeks and retest. More often than not, the numbers return to normal. Even something as simple as a minor infection can increase numbers. Of course, chronic alcohol abuse, any of the hepatitides, cirrhosis, and other things can cause elevated numbers, but usually all are elevated to some extent. In this case, I'd advise just waiting a few weeks and repeating the test.

All the best,

Schuyler

~