Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I've had stomach problems year now. I was eating a bad diet

Customer Question

I've had stomach problems for a year now. I was eating a bad diet full of sugar and lots of grains and pork. My stomach started to feel nausus a lot so I went on a vegetarian diet with lots of salads and fresh carrot juice. I ate 85% raw. I felt great for about 4 months then I started getting pain in my upper right side near the ribcage. I also had pain in my ears with lots of itching. Also nausa every day. It got so bad that I went to a doctor for blood work and ultrasound to see if it was my gallbladder, pancreas, liver. The test came back fine. My doctor seemed to think I had candida and leaky gut with food intolerance. She gave me a round of nystatin for the candida and put me on a phase one diet with just natural meats and vegetables. It has been 5 months and I still have bloating, gas, and pressure in my stomach. When I stay on the diet it feels better but not complete pain free. But if I eat fruit I'll get a head ach. If I eat grains I'll get a dizzy feeling with depression.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Following are the diagnostic possibilities for your symptoms;

1) Non functioning and poorly functioning gall bladder: An HIDA scan is required.

2) Gastritis / Gastroesophageal reflux disease / Peptic ulcer; these require upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, Helicobacter pylori testing and a barium meal with follow through study.

3) Irritable bowel syndrome; this will require a colonoscopy and CT scan.

4) Bacterial over growth syndrome; this requires stool exam, Short-chain fatty acid levels, Urine 4-hydroxyphenylacetic acid levels etc to diagnose the issue.

Thus you need further investigative work up which will pin point the issue.

Meanwhile you may take over the counter probiotics which are likely to help you. Please avoid artificial colorings, (especially aspartame), flavorings and preservatives. Excess alcohol should be avoided.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.