Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I swam in a pool on and off hours and immediately afterwards

Customer Question

I swam in a pool on and off for 5 hours and immediately afterwards had a lot of joint pain, headache and some burning on urination. I just wanted to sleep that night. The next day I felt slightly better but two days later I still have joint pain in my fingers, elbows and knees along with some occasional pins and needles. One of the pool attendants mentioned the girl on duty might have let the chlorine keep running the day I was there indicating there might have been too much chemicals in the pool Can I have been poisoned or caused permanent joint damage? I have an appointment to see my physician in the morning.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. First off I don't see any permanent damage here. Sometimes chlorine can interact with skin, hair, and perspiration to form disinfection byproducts that can cause your symptoms. These symptoms should subside in about a week's time with no residual damage

Let me know if you need more information please