Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I'm having problems with my left ear. 1-3 weeks now, it's

Customer Question

I'm having problems with my left ear. For about 1-3 weeks now, it's been getting plugged up very soon after I wake up, and even when/if I DO get it unclogged, every time I swallow, it plugs it right back up again. I JUST got done rinsing my ears out A LOT with very warm salt water, and I think I might need a better flush (had to use a straw to pour the water in my ears). I also rubbed it and tried to gently force the water further by simply placing my whole palm over my ear and rubbing vigorously. I don't think it's an infection, and any irritation is simply due to the roughness of some ear cleaners I bought a while back. It clears up for a few moments, but after a couple of swallows, it's plugged right back up, and it ONLY happens if my head is kept facing straight ahead. Should I get some peroxide and an ear syringe, or should I start saving up for a doctor's trip?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. This could be wax impaction but it sounds more like an Eustachian tube dysfunction you could try the peroxide and syringe first to see if that helps but you may still need to see a doctor for a prednisone prescription to open the tubes

Let me know if you need more information please