Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I had a CDT test and I had a binge at the weekend and drink

Customer Question

Hi, I had a CDT test and I had a binge at the weekend and drink wine 2 times maybe in the week. Will I pass as im freaking out at bit. I had not drank 2 days before the test and don't drink every day
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

How many hours ago have you taken your last drink?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had my test Tuesday morning last drink was Sat but they are testing me for the last few weeks and I have been drinking in that time but not every day.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

Well as you describe, CDT (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin) test is for the purposes of detecting heavy alcohol abuse - more than 5 drinks per day. It can show heavy chronic alcohol abuse up to 2 to 4 weeks after stopping.

The CDT results relates to the prolonged consumption of large quantities of alcohol (>60g of alcohol per day over at least a week with 60 g of alcohol being equal to 5 to 6 drinks)

The CDT alone will not prove that you have ingested alcohol excessively. An elevated level will only indicate that it is a possibility.

If this is the only test that is being performed and it is elevated, then the clinician will have to determine whether there are other factors present that could have elevated the result.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I don't drink every day will I pass this is my main concern? Even if I have drank a lot over the weekend and a bottle of two during the week?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.

I can understand your concern.

However you are still at the edge.

And as you have drank a lot over the weekend so there are still chances of having positive results of CDT.

I hope this helps.