Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I get this very strange annoying pain on my side, flank area

Customer Question

I get this very strange annoying pain on my side, flank area like right above the top
Of my buttocks but below my love handle I guess it's like around my hips
It's a sharp stabbing pain and I get it if ever I drink any alcohol regardless of wether it's hard liquor beer or wine , all of which I drink very little of and seldomly also
Yesterday I had one beer early in day at like 3 o'clock and two glasses of wine with dinner and my flank is killing me all day and a little last night too
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Hi. How long has this been happening and is this time lasting a lot longer than the other times?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's norm happening for a while and no it's lasting less time but that's also cause last time this happened it was after a night of heavy liquor drinking which again I do very seldomly maybe 5 times a year if that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has to be a cause and effect for this right or wrong like something has to be causing me to get these pains when I drink wether heavily or very moderately
I never had pains before this is something that started happening about a year or two ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Ok. And just to be certain it's never happened except when you drink alcohol?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why what can it mean if it also happens when I'm not drinking ? I'm sure it happened once or twice when not drinking but it definitely happens almost all the time when I drink regardless of wether it's one drink or more and obviously the more I drink the worse the pain the next day and some times same day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

OK. This doesn't sound like you've developed an alcohol allergy. Given the location of the pain it could be either a lumbar spine problem or possibly a kidney problem like a kidney stone. You need to see a doctor for an exam, a ct scan of the abdomen, an MRI of the lumbar spine, blood work and a urinalysis to determine the exact problem

Let me know if you need any more information please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gp? Or urologist ? Or both going to gp first tho ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

I'd start with a GP who can get all the studies and tests first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I scheduled appointment with my gp for my flank pain and curious to know based on your experience , what is the likelihood that flank pin is due to something serious or life threatening ? I am somewhat of a hyoercondriac at times and i imagine the worst when it come to certain pains and ailments
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

It sounds neither serious nor life-threatening.

Let me know how it goes with your GP and please remember to rate my service to you