Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My sense of smell is all messed up few months

Customer Question

hi, my sense of smell is all messed up for last few months
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Have you had any sinus infection? any nasal problems or allergies? Have you had any unusual exposures? Such as solvents used to clean?

Have you noticed any other type of symptoms? Change of taste? Have you had a sense of a loss of smell sensation or rather do you mean an altered sense? Is this complete or partial? Can you smell some strong odors such as ammonia for example?

Impaired smell can be temporary or could be a permanent problem depending on the cause..

Causes may include harmless types such as allergies ( hay fever) or colds or sinus infections...

Certain medications may alter smell as a side effect >> so do you take anything??

It can in certain cases be of a more serious nature of symptoms as it may be associated with certain neurological problems... Alzheimer's disease for example but at your age this would not be a likely concern...other serious neurological disease may be associated with this symptoms such as MS or brain tumor but statistically these would be less common as culprit...

Seeing a neurologist was an appropriate step >> you might also consult an ENT specialist..

You might need further evaluation if it is not resolving or a harmless cause is determined or if you should have other symptoms of concern ( especially if any of a neurological nature)

Further work up might potentially include nasal endoscopy and possibly a CT scan such of the sinuses and possibly a brain MRI ..

Part of the goal with this problem is to react appropriately but also not to get into too much overkill in a benign or transient type case.... seeing an ENT and follow up with the neurologist or second opinion if it is not improving or as I noted a reason is found such as the ENT work up...

I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction the please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD