A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

There is suspected abuse in a local nursing home in where

Customer Question

There is suspected abuse in a local nursing home in Virginia where minimal facilities will accept this neurologically challenged 55 yr old man. His family is forced to travel over 1 1/2 hrs just to visit him. He has received a fractured arm, lacerations to his head and other unexplained injuries since being admitted there.
How can I direct his mother, 86 yrs old , to the proper agency (ies)?
Thank you for your much needed service. Patty Kilbreath, Parish Nurse
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Patty,
Answers provided are for informational use only and don't confer patient-provider relationship. My name is***** and I will do whatever I can to help you.
Since the nursing home administration has refused to intervene, the next step is to file a complaint with Adult Protective Services. Here is more about the general process: http://www.nursinghomeabusecenter.org/filing-a-complaint.html
Here is the general contact information for APS in Virginia. They will put you in contact with local investigators who can check on what is actually going on.
If you think the situation is grave enough, you can always call 911.
All the best,
Schuyler
~