DrDLove
DrDLove, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years, Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Past 3 weeks approximately, I started to feel nauseous after

Customer Question

Hi, for the past 3 weeks approximately, I started to feel nauseous after eating. Not after every meal but most and I never actually vomit. In addition to this in the past week I've noticed often when I move around, and occasionally when I'm sitting I feel myself getting very hot. I do not perspire just inside I feel really warm mainly in my arms and face. The hot feeling lasts about 10seconds max then passes. I've looked up these symptoms online but cant find much information. Most temperature increase seems to be related to menopause but I'm only 33 and my periods have always been regular. So really I just don't know what to make of the two symptoms. I should say that I don't have any allergies. In April a blood test revealed a slightly fatty liver. I do suffer from health anxiety so I have everyone saying that recent stress is the culprit. For about 8 years I have taken 275mg of amitriptyline every night for atypical facial pain. In the last 3 weeks I have not taken them routinely and had a fair few nights where I haven taken any, others I have taken 125mg but for the past 4nights I have taken 200mg per night
I have taken my temperature at the time of this heat feeling and it has been 37*c. I do not smoke or drink but I am overweight. I do not have a particularly stressful lifestyle but I am a huge worrier, and in the last 2 years I have gone from believing I have one cancer to the next to the next, and so on, so as you can imagine I'm thinking the worst about these symptoms too. Please help! Tia
Category: Health
Expert:  drn.iqtidar replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am dr.Iqtidar and will try my best to answer your question. It is unlikely to be menopause as you don't have irregular periods. Nausea and feeling hot could be a kidney infection or due to hyperactive thyroid. Nausea could also be due to fatty liver itself. I think you need a complete blood profile to check there's no infection and also thyroid function tests to check for your thyroid status as a hyperactive thyroid can cause sweating, palpitations, anxiety and even nausea.

I hope this answer helps. If you are satisfied with my answer please leave me a positive rating.

Regards,
Dr.Iqtidar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do any of the conditions you suggest only happen after eating? I had alot of blood work done in April this year and all came back normal, apart from the fatty liver. I'm concerned about more serious conditions like cancer. Also is it possible anxiety could be the reasons

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

I notice that you have relisted the question.

To some extent, someone with any condition that can cause nausea may notice a worsening of the nausea after eating. Similarly, someone with nausea from any condition may find that avoiding oral intake may ease nausea for a time, although prolonged avoidance of oral intake can obviously only be maintained for a limited period of time.

However, there is a common condition that can cause temperature elevation and that would specifically be exacerbated by oral intake, which is gallbladder disease. So, in addition to the evaluation noted by the other expert, it would be appropriate to evaluate the gallbladder. The first test would be an ultrasound, and it may also require a hepatobiliary scan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, thanks. If I may just ask, I'm very worried about cirrhosis as in addition to the fatty liver I ff

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also noticed dark urine, along with fatty liver and nausea, high temperature in ea

Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

It is very unlikely that cirrhosis is present at your age. Any condition that can lead to cirrhosis would usually take more years to develop into cirrhosis. In addition, the blood tests that you had done would usually indicate a greater amount of liver dysfunction if cirrhosis is present.

The symptoms that you describe could be related to the fatty liver and inflammation of the liver associated with the fatty liver, and this would be far more likely than cirrhosis of the liver. So, liver disease is possible, but cirrhosis is unlikely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. Is it possible for my GP to have correctly diagnosed fatty liver after just one bloed test, everything I see on line seems to say more than one set of bloods needs to be done to diagnose fatty liver but my GP only did one?

Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

A blood test can suggest a fatty liver, but I typically only diagnose a fatty liver based on an imaging study.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it possible being on such a high dose of amitryptiline for years could cause cirrhosis?

Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

Liver damage and hepatitis is one of the rare reported possible side effects to amitriptyline. It is not reported to cause cirrhosis, although theoretically, any condition that causes hepatitis that continues for a sufficient period of time could lead to cirrhosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so I have read that in chronic hepititis for along time symptoms may not be present and also that liver enzymes may not show alot of dysfunction, so in theory could chronic hepatitis be taken as fatty liver? I just worry as I have dark urine, fever,a spider angioma on my chest

Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

These are not mutually exclusive, as some people with a fatty liver can also have chronic hepatitis from the fatty liver, so there is not an issue of whether one can be taken as the other, since both can be present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have fatty liver and been on high dose of amitryptiline for many years, do you think I should be worried about cirhosis? Sorry for all the extra questions

Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

I answered that question above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

last question,is it possible for cirrhosis in an advanced state to develops within 4 months from the liver function test that only indicated fatty liver? I will leave excellent crating and tip.

Expert:  DrDLove replied 1 year ago.

Generally no, as it takes many years for cirrhosis to develop, which is why it is also very unlikely that cirrhosis could be present at your age. Obviously, if someone has fatty liver with chronic hepatitis for years and there has not been any evaluation, and then 4 months before it is destined to finally develop cirrhosis, an evaluation is done that shows the fatty liver with chronic hepatitis, it would appear that there was only 4 months between the diagnosis of fatty liver and the development of cirrhosis.