A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Type Your Question Here...

Customer Question

Type Your Question Here...
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I can to help you.
What is your question? The more details you provide, the more likely someone can help you.
Thanks,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26 year old. I'm in good health and very active in running/working out. I have been training for a full marathon for about three weeks now. I have always been active in running 5 to 6 times per week. Just the other day I started noticing a tender/irritated
area inside my left inner thigh and just below my left hip- meaning the skin feels irritated, but there is no rash, injury, or cuts etc. It is weird, it feels like when I touch it- it feels irritated- like when you get a carpet burn or scratch an area way
too much. I don't really know how else to describe it. It is not painful- it just seems to be an irritated area when I touch it etc. Feels more like I had a run burn or have been scratching it, but there are no marks or any sign of anything. What could this
be? Is this something I should be worried about? Please help.....
Thank you. I will ask the moderator to move this to the Health category. Once it is in the proper category, I will be able to answer you.
You don't need to do anything. You will receive another email when I answer you.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
This is fairly common when someone begins adding miles to their workout. It is a form of carpet burn, just from the friction. You should make sure inner thighs are clean and completely dry before dressing to run. A hairdryer set on low is useful for this. Apply baby powder to help reduce friction. Some people use a medicated powder like Gold Bond.
Compression shorts, rather than running shorts) will help prevent friction. Shower and dry our skin well immediately after your run.
This should help things. It isn't anything at all to worry about.
Please let me know if you have questions.
All the best,
Schuyler
~