Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have this calf pain that came on yesterday and I'm still

Customer Question

I have this calf pain that came on yesterday and I'm still having it today
Yesterday the pain came in sudden and it kind of paralyzed that foot and calf for a moment it happened twice in the morning , my toes curled and everything I'm assuming it was like a spasm or something like that ? I looked it up on web md and it says if I'm experiencing calf pain with chest pain and shortness of breath (which im not ) to seek emergency medical assistance
What can this calf pin have stemmed from so suddenly and what is it and is it dangerous ? Today I have pin there like soreness but no cramping or spasms just a constant pain and if I press on calf it is more painful
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi.

The most concerning possibility would be a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a leg vein that can cause a pulmonary embolus. It really doesn't sound like that's the case here but since I can't examine you I have to say you need to have that evaluated immediately with Doppler venous studies

That said, this cold be from a pinched nerve either at the knee or the low back level, or it could be a muscle cramp from a low magnesium level

But I have to insist that you have a doctor evaluate this right away

Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How immediate shiuldni have it evaluated ? Emergency room? Or can it wait till Monday when I can go see my gp?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I really think you should go to the ER or at least a walk-in clinic. If it is a DVT time is critical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any tell tale signs pointing more so to a dvt than not a dvt
Like the panini experience now is when walking , the side I had cramp in hurts can't put too much pressure/weight on that foot also my calf feels hard compared to my other calf, hard like when putting pressure on calf or flexing calf
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hard calf, swelling, sometimes some bruising can all signal a DVT but since I can't examine you I simply can't tell you that for sure this is not a DVT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before online information and sites like this site here all of have is what I'm having strange calf pain after a calf cramp I had yesterday so before sites and online I and most people would just wait till doctors next visit days so I think that's what I'll do
My father not a doctor but he too suggested I just relax and go see my gp on Monday I mean To go to emergency room for a strange cramp pain soreness a bit Much don't you think
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's up to you but let me end this with this--

Were you my patient and we were on the phone having this conversation I'd say see me in my office now or get to the ER. Not trying to be alarmist here but it's better safe than sorry

Let me know how it goes and please consider rating my answer for the time I've spent with you.

And if you'll notice, another expert has agreed with me