Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Heart feels like it's racing but its not, my breathing is

Customer Question

heart feels like it's racing but its not, my breathing is fine, I feel fine. I wonder if this could be Anxiety and Panic Attacks
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Yes it may be exactly that. You mayconsult your doctor. .hopefully you may arrange a quick walk in if you have episode. You may be able to get in quickly and be evaluated with pulse odometer and EKG and these would be helpful. A person with panic attack in particular may feel that heart is pounding or racing but rate may be only mildly elevated. You may feel short of breath if panic attack but may be hyperventilating.Pulse ox reading may be very high 98 -99. %

Dizziness, weakness, tingling are also common.

So if you start to have symptoms the potential to get quick evaluation would help in the diagnosis. A panic attack may feel awful and scary but usually lasts about 30 minutes.

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what if it just feels like my heart is racing, (but it's not). When I'm at work distracted from it, it all seems to go away especially when I'm around friends, family, but as soon as I get home, it all starts again. I also get the same feeling in the morning when I first wake up and am in the shower. This all started 3 weeks ago.

Hello-

It may be an anxiety factor as a possibility. It sounds that this sensation occurs at other times as well. There are many things which may make you perceive your own heartbeat more. If you get sick with an infection for example then you may perceive more pounding sense of the heart and perhaps higher rate( case if influenza for example )

So I would advise a check up with your doctor.a check of blood counts and inflammatory markets could look into possible hyperstimulation of the heart....thyroid function as well...an EKG could provide some information and an echocardiogram considered ...

A holter monitor could detect if you had issues such as transient rhythm disturbance ...

These steps would provide a more complete work up for you to get to the bottom of these symptoms...

I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD