Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a little less than 5'6' female that weights 277.5. I

Customer Question

I am a little less than 5'6' female that weights 277.5. I gained about 15 pounds in the past six weeks. Been on high blood pressure meds after leaving the military in 2004. My ankles and around lower legs have been swelling recently. I eat too much start. I am thinking about a liquid diet with one meal a day that would be protein and vegetables.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a little less than 5'6' female that weights 277.5. I gained about 15 pounds in the past six weeks. Been on high blood pressure meds after leaving the military in 2004. My ankles and around lower legs have been swelling recently. I eat too much start. I am thinking about a liquid diet with one meal a day that would be protein and vegetables. Would Alkaline water be a good choice as well?
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

No I would advise limit calories to 1200 to 1400 per day...

Spread these calories over 4 meal times not one( eating once a day slows your metabolic rate and is counter-productive)

Work to increase your daily exercise gradually...joining a gym may be helpful..

Cutting sodium/ salt would help your blood pressure concerns...

Tips to benefit metabolic rate ( regular daily exercise program is main thing) caffeine in moderation may benefit...vitamin B complex daily may help..Coenzyme Q10 100mg daily helps metabolic rate...

It is fine if you wish to work within an established diet program...Nutrasystem may be helpful but may be expensive...the South Beach Diet is a valid type diet plan...high protein, lower carb, lower fat is,helpful pattern...

If you have resources to work with dietician then that may help...

Similar to work with trainer...

Basic idea with exercise program is to start where you are in your comfort zone....May be a 15 minute walk to start...try to do this same at least 5 days,a week..each week you increase the exercise combination...what you do..speed or time...a mix of aerobic ( speeds the heart rate such as rapid walk or cycling) plus some strength type exercise to work muscle groups such as,at a gym...

Ultimately a good exercise and persistence will help you achieve goals and help your blood pressure...

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is alkaline water beneficial?

Hello again,

Harmless I would say but no benefit....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything i can take that can safely boost my energy? I'm 49 yrs old so I just started taking Green Vibrance. It notes to have over 25 million Priobotics. Not sure if that will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also taking it for mental clarity and fatigue feeling.

Probiotic are a good idea and helpful.

If you perceive benefit with alkaline water that is fine....

Mild stimulant with moderate caffeine plus vitamin B complex plus CoQ10 may hold benefit for you as for mental clarity as well...

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Hello again,
You had also asked about a product >>"Green Vibrance"?? I looked this up and it appears to be a combination of nutrients in combination plus the probiotics.
My review found harmless ingredients such as beets for example..
It has a probiotic mix added for digestive health...
I see nothing particularly wrong with the product but I hope not over-priced...
I think the probiotic by Nature Made is good option for digestive health ( combination of Lactobacillus and Bifidus regularis ) these two are simply harmless bacteria that benefit your digestion and protect from harmful lower GI infections.. they would not give you super energy..
AS for low energy you may want to have a sleep study done to check and make sure that you do not have a sleep disorder....sleep apnea may make you feel abnormally tired for example... you may perceive even that you get 8 hours of sleep but still not feel rested
Low energy >> your doctor may want to check thyroid function and blood counts and B12 level and iron levels too..
If sleepy during day then you might benefit from caffeine 200mg at breakfast and lunch..
Provigil is a prescription option that may be helpful..
Vitamin B complex and CoQ10 are related to your body's energy metabolism too and may be helpful...
I hopw that this information is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD