DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine at Self employed
61885400

Can predictive have glucose in the urine in small amounts

Customer Question

Can predictive have glucose in the urine in small amounts and not have full blown DM?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the diet had been loaded in sugar for the day and was within a period of time immediately after eating but before voiding the bladder, couldn't blodd glucose be high enough to have spill over but the a1c still be in an elevated but not true diabetic stage.
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you.
Actually not. When a healthy person loads himself with sugar, he builds enough insulin to transform this sugar into fat, so it doesn't appear in the urine. If it does, it's a sign of full blown diabetes, and an elevated a1c (more than 6,1) confirms that.
Only with certain kidney issues that make the kidney "leaky" for sugar you can find glucose in the urine without haveing DM. But then the a1c is not elevated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to confirm. If a prediabetic has a bad day and eats a ton of sugar, anytime urine has glucose it has tipped into full blown DM? And if so, can the DM be reversed as with prediabetic if the disease is caught early enough?
You need to have blood sugar between 150 and 200 mg% to find glucose in the urine. That means full blown DM. You can normalize blood sugar and a1c later, but still it's not prediabetes any more, but diabetes, well adjusted. There is no way back.
Did I make myself clear? Then I thank you for a positive feedback, hopefully "excellent". If not, please do not hesitate to ask.
Even though my answer may be not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Thank you very much!