Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have a question about a possible rabies exposure. I was

Customer Question

Hi I have a question about a possible rabies exposure. I was walking outside at dawn, when I noticed something flying. I couldn't tell what it was, but I am scared of bats, and it was dawn. It was going to fly in a path over my head so I lowered my head. I then checked my eyes to make sure nothing got in them. I was afraid of this before this happened, but I am worried that a bat could drool when flying and it could get in my eye. I thought that one eye was more moist than the other. That eye began to hurt days later, but it was not red. It goes away when I am not worried about it. I had a rabies shot three years ago. I don't know how long immunity lasts, but I have read that after a real exposure a booster is needed. People tell me that my chance is remote, but I saw a brief red flash, like from a laser pointer, in one of my eyes, and I can't find any explanation for it. My fear is what if I did get rabies saliva in my eye, and it will get into the optic nerve (hence the flash), then my brain, and I will die. I am freaking out. Should I get a booster shot?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see a doctor, but this was before my eye started bothering me. He thought my chances were remote. I got a blood test to determine my immunity level, but my doctor will not be in untill Wednesday. Is there a way I could just call the hospital and ask?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern.
Well as you describe,i also have the same opinion that chances of getting rabies in your case is very low.
As you have difficulty in eye so an eye examination must be done in your case to check any sort of inflammation,damage to optic nerve.
However still the chances are very low to transmit rabies through eye.
You should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist in next few days.
Clean your eyes with lubricating eye drops.
Also OTC Claritin can be helpful to relieve irritation.
Serological reports can further determine the requirement of rabies booster shot.
Otherwise usually no need with such incident.
Hope this helps.
Feel free for further queries.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 1 year ago.
If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than give us poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.