Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I just received a test with a platetelet count of 112.

Customer Question

i just received a test with a platetelet count of 112.
Should I be concerned?
I feel fine, however 3 weeks ago I either banged my leg real good or received an insect bite that resulted in a large swelling in my left leg.
It is getting smaller and a sonogram of the neck showed no blood clots
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The platelet count you have is not that terribly low but should be repeated in a couple of months. It could be a transient dip associated with a viral infection and resultant lower bone marrow production. For now so not take aspirin or Advil as these reduce activity of platelets and could lead to having more easy bruising or bleeding. Tylenol is fine.

If you have ongoing lowish platelets then you may be further checked as to cause. This could be due to an enlarged spleen as one possibility. It could be due to a condition called ITP -- this may be caused by an autoimmune disorder in which antibodies are directed against platelets.

So the current level of platelets that you have is ok and is functional as to stopping bleeding should you have a cut or injury.

The mildly low platelets does warrant a follow up check to investigate if it persists. If it should persist or get worse then it would be in need of follow up as I describe above...

I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards ,

Anthony Bray MD