Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

6 weeks ago I got blood work with 53 GFR and 1.14

Customer Question

Hi. 6 weeks ago I got blood work with 53 GFR and 1.14 creatinine. Also, my phosphatase was low. My doctor said not to worry. He put me on a low protein diet and wants to check again. I go back for my blood work next week. My question is if I get better results, should I still see a nephrologist and nutritionist? It seems if my numbers are low, I am at least at risk for kidney failure and I should try to be proactive with my care.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
your GFR was most likely an eGFR or estimated GFR estimated from your creatinine level and your age and sex and race.
you were probably dehydrated and your creatinine level was up.
you need to drink more fluids and water and avoid medications like ibuprofen and advil which can tax your kidneys
if your creatinine levels drop down, your eGFR will go up and you will be fine
if your levels go back up, most likely you don't need to see a nephrologist.
you should be proactive with making sure you avoid dehydration and drink more fluids to avoid dehydration.
you should also avoid alcohol and caffeine which can dehydrate you and tax your kidneys.
are you drinking enough water during the day?