Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I've read quite a bit of the strings about etg tests, and

Customer Question

I've read quite a bit of the strings about etg tests, and unfortunately find myself in the same category. I had 4 strong beers and 3 lite beers on Friday night, ending at 1am, I then had to submit a UA that tested for etg at 9:45pm on Monday.
By my calculations I had roughly 69 hours since my last drink. But not sure as to when my bac was 0. I know that it's not an exact science but I am wondering if I am Closer to clear zone or if I'm in the hot zone.
I'm 5'11", 208, athletically built and workout 2 times a day
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The strong beers were 8-10% by volume, the lite beers were bud lites
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Techinically my last drink was 1am Saturday morning, first drink was at 930pm Friday night
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Yes the etg test is testing for a metabolite of alcohol (ethanol) but not actual ethanol currently in your system. It depends on the circumstances of the testing as to the possible significance of a positive result. It can detect that you had been drinking up to about 80 hours later....

The cutoff for screening may be 1000ng/ml or may be a confirmation cut off of 500ng/ml....

If your situation were part of a screening then it may be that only a high level would get you into trouble at all...

If you are in certain circumstances of zero tolerance to drink at all then the result may imply more possible problem for you ....If for example you should be on probation after a DUI conviction then a positive result may be more of potential problem...

Your indication of having a few beers in weekend sounds perfectly acceptable under most circumstances( but not all perhaps)

It sounds that you may more likely fall below the 500ng/ml cutoff ----

For further information here is is a reference for you...http://www.anylabtestnow.com/tests/etg-urine-alcohol-test/

There would not be reason to think from your history that you would have a BAC level unacceptable for job performance or driving....

It could be if you were in a zero tolerance level that you may have a positive etg test...Your history suggests a low result if positive at all...even small alcohol content of certain over the counter meds can give a low etg result ...that is part of reason that cut off is usually 500...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Anthony,Your synopsis is very similar to what I have read in my research. And your deduction was correct in that the test is as a condition of probation. I shouldn't have drank, and I am regretting it now for sure, the worry is just not worth it.My major concern is that on Saturday morning I was still feeling the effects from the beers the night before, typical "hangover", though it was extreme, and I could taste alcohol in my breath. That was very surprising since I had a total of 7 beers, but I guess the strong beers were twice and potent as the lite beers. I guess this episode would be considered a "heavy drinking" one, I have not came across any studies that dealt with ETG detection times after "heavy drinking", have you?The test is already submitted, I am just wondering how much I need to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wasn't extreme

Hello again -

Well the 7 beers is not the worst but fairly heavy episode of drinking -- Yes to that . By Monday you would not have a problem as to an unacceptable BAC level but I would worry that you may well be detected by the etg test. I hope that it returns low enough that you do not get into trouble because of it- Good luck to you! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD