Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I have had a sore throat. Doctor said it is raw and swollen

Customer Question

I have had a sore throat . Doctor said it is raw and swollen probably from some irritation as allergy or dust. Last night my uvula was swollen. This morning he prescribed Dulera to sooth the swelling. Also, predisone for future allergic reactions as a precaution. However, can I take the predisone tonight since my throat is still very sore. Cannot eat or swallow.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the question. Sorry to hear about this recent sickness.

Yes, you can take the prednisone but I would take it with food....even something soft such as pudding or applesauce. This class of drug is known to cause stomach upset and pain if taken on an empty stomach and it is not advised.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what will it do

Taking prednisone on an empty stomach can cause stomach upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), and possible acid reflux and or stomach pain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how does the predisone help? And how long? Can I use it as needed only? Will it help tonight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I still take it even though I did the Dulera inhaler earlier?

Prednisone is a steroid and it will help reduce inflammation and swelling. It will not be an instant fix like aspirin brings down a fever, but after a couple days you should notice your swelling becoming less and less. Yes, you can take the prednisone after using the inhaler.

I would not use it as needed but as prescribed.