Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 28 weeks pregnant and have been taking 2-3 Vicodin a

Customer Question

I am 28 weeks pregnant and have been taking 2-3 Vicodin a day for about 2 years. I have a prescription and my doctor knows I take them but says to use sparingly! I'm not sure what that means and surely don't want to have the baby be harmed. How long will it take for the meds to get out of my system so the baby will not be born addicted? How do I taper down to avoid withdrawal or harm to the baby. My doctor is wonderful and I trust him fully but I am embarrassed and don't want to keep asking him about it because I feel like I look like an addict.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--have you discussed weaning off the Vicodin with your doctor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I know if I cut down by like 1/2 a week then I really shouldn't have any adverse effects
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well I can't ethically tell you exactly how to wean since I'm not your doctor but if you stretch the wean out over two to three weeks you should be fine. And the vicodin will be totally out of your system in about three days after the last pill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not super worried about myself feeling the effects, I know I'll be a little tired which is nothing new- but I'm concerned about going into preterm labor if I stop taking it since I'm so used to it. Btw I had a fractured C2 vertebrae and the roof of my mouth and now bone spurs from a car accident 7 years ago. The reason I take them is bc I can't turn my head without a grinding pain...
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, there's no worry about preterm labor so long as you do a slow wean and thus don't get major withdrawal symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's all I'm really worried about it. I'll start to do a slow wean this week so I can be off of them for a few weeks before delivery. Thanks so much for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes for you and please remember to rate my service to you