Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My doctor told me I have shingles. It started with itching

Customer Question

My doctor told me I have shingles. It started with itching on my right side of stomach. Within two days I started to experience swelling going back around to my buttock. Very painful and sensitive to touch. No rash at all. I have been nauseated. Can you help me please.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Given the intensity of the burning and pain with the distribution along the nerve root likely suggests shingles.You will benefit most with combination therapy of Valacyclovir 1 gram 3 times daily and Gabapentin 300 mg 3 times daily.Topical Lidoderm patch also can be applied.Over the counter Ibuprofen can be taken 3 tablets 3 times daily with food.Valacyclovir, gabapentin, and Lidoderm will require prescription.It was my pleasure to help you today. Dr BasuIf I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! Dr BasuThis is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am taking those meds. already. But should I expect a breakout of rash and if so, by when. Will swelling stop.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Ok--The dose of gabapentin can be increased to control the pain. If still not helpful, then a narcotic medication like Oxycodone can be used short term. Usually the rash appears within 3 days of onset of pain. In your case swelling is the manifestation of rash given the distribution. The swelling should stop within a week or so --sometimes 2 weeks. But this will get better. Do not worry.It was my pleasure to help you today. Dr BasuIf I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! Dr BasuThis is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/