Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My friends cat bit me on my upper lip last night. A single

Customer Question

Hi, my friends cat bit me on my upper lip last night. A single small puncture that bled for about 3 to 5 minutes was the result. I washed the site well with peroxide and held a cold compress for several minutes. It is slightly sore today but I think it will be fine. We are traveling today so I decided to wait a day or 2 to see if anything comes of it. I took a cephalexin about an hour ago. Should I go to a quick care clinic? I really feel fine but I know cat bites can be dangerous
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Cat bites tend to be deeper increasing the risk of soft tissue infection and abscess.
The symptoms usually appear within 24 hours.
So far you are doing well and that suggests less likelihood of infection.
Cephalexin is not recommended as it is useless with cat bite related infections.
Still prophylactic antibiotic course is recommended with Augment twice daily for 5 days.
You should go to the urgent care for Augmentin prescription since you are going out of town.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****