Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I've been having intermittent sharp abdominal pain, very localized,

Customer Question

I've been having intermittent sharp abdominal pain, very localized, right below my rib cage. This has come and gone for several months but is increasing in intensity/duration. I had an ultrasound when it began, as well as a hida scan, which were both normal (aside from a fatty liver). It doesn't seem to be related to eating or diet. Stool is intermittently very yellow and soft and urine intermittently very dark, but also frequently normal. Is this something I should be seen about? If the scans came back normal, does that rule out things I need to be worried about?
I am 27, an athlete, and eat a healthy diet. I do have ankylosing spondylitis and am on naprosen, omeprozole, and levothyroxene for hypothyroidism.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.How frequently do you feel it now?Do you feel any other symptom besides pain?When did you consult doctor last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response! I feel it on a daily basis now, several times a day- for anywhere between 5-20 minutes at a time. I frequently experience nausea and general digestive discomfort with it. I usually attribute things like skin rashes/itching, fatigue, and headaches to the AS, but I do experience those. I last spoke with my doctor about six months ago, after the hida scan and ultrasound came back normally and she assured me I wasn't having any gallbladder issues. At that time it was more of an annoyance than a concern, but it is becoming quite disruptive and uncomfortable now.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information,The symptoms are unlikely from gall bladder or liver.The tests came back normal.There are other possibilities.As there is nausea, digestive discomfort, there can be gastritis, reflux.Those can occasionally be felt there.As the symptoms have got worse, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor again.H pylori infection can be there.You can try nexium, antacid, meanwhile.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.