Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I need to know how long does an over-dose of iron by

Customer Question

I need to know how long does an over-dose of iron by infusion last. I had two infusions in Nov 2014 and had a terrible reaction that lasted three weeks and has been returning on a frequent time and each time it does I am incapacitated for the entire day,
sometimes two days..My re-actions are extreme dizziness to the point of holding on to something when I walk and legs feel as if theyare filled with water instead of bone. Headache and leg aches. My iron level spiked after receiving all that iron . I felt good
before I had the infusions and have felt terrible ever since. The doctor that ordered the iron (Hemotologist) did not check my blood at all until one month after the infusions and it had spike. I made him tell me. I believe the lab that took the first blood
test got mine mixed up with someone elses. What, if anything can I do or what can a doctor do to stop the re-actions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Have you had your iron levels checked recently? What about recent hemoglobin and liver function tests?