Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I drank 5 drinks on saturday with the last drink being at approximaely

Customer Question

I drank 5 drinks on saturday with the last drink being at approximaely 7pm. I have an etg test on monday at 5pm. I am 190lbs, 5'11" and 34 years old. what are my chances of passing?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--you've got a reasonable chance of passing since it usually takes at least 3 days for the metabolite to show up.
Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean resonable? Also, it takes at least 3 days for it to show up? I thought it was detectable within 24 hours?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well reasonable as in you wouldn't be at the three day mark when the test was done but in medicine we rarely can say 100% yes or no. I don't know where you got your information but it takes at least two to three days to register positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EtG was always positive at the 100 and 200 cutoffs, but at 24 hours sensitivity was poor at all cutoffs following the low dose, and poor after 48 hours regardless of dose or cutoff. Similarly, in the clinical trials EtG sensitivity was good for detecting any drinking during the last 24 hours at the 2 lowest cutoffs, but under 40% during the last 24 to 48 hours. Sensitivity was reduced at the 500 ng/ml cutoff. Discrepancies between EtG and EtS were few. Comparison of self-reports of abstinence and EtG-confirmed abstinence indicated underreporting of drinking.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24773137
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The key there is the poor sensitivity statement--I'm talking about a true positive result
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, according to the study, the etg test is best at showing positive within 24 hours at all levels of alcohol consumption. I am just wondering what percentage, in your opinion, would I have of testing positive after 5 drinks and 46 hours between last consumption and urination.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--I'd give your chances of passing at 80%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, sir. Your answers seem kind of contradictory to the studies. You stated that it is not detectable within 3 days. Where are you getting this information?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I guess I can't make myself clear to you so let me opt out and let another expert come on. Don't post anything here until he does please
You'll have to reject my offer more time offer for him to post on this page.