Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I drove 1,000 miles in less than two days a few days ago. Since

Customer Question

I drove 1,000 miles in less than two days a few days ago. Since I got home, my left leg and ankle swell during daytime but are fine in the morning when I get up. I have bad knees and am overly.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
You may consider an ultrasound (termed colored doppler study) to rule out blood clot (DVT / deep vein thrombosis). DVT should be essentially ruled out with these symptoms.
An intermittent elevation during the day time on a side chair would help in resolving the issue meanwhile. This is likely to be due to;
1) Postural; a long duration sitting in a same position hampers the venous blood flow and may have caused the swelling.
2) An inactivity for long hours also cause the venous stagnation and resultant swelling.
3) A concomitant varicose veins / incompetent veins on this side may also be responsible for day time swelling which reduces in the night time because of the venous drainage.
4) An inflamed ankle may cause hampering of the lymphatic drainage and hence the resultant swelling.
Following long term measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:
1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.
2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to have this swelling issue last a few days from my long car ride home last Friday evening? I am wondering if it would be wise to wait a couple more days and if it doesn't resolve itself by then, go to a dr.??
Hello,The swelling on on side is always a suspicion of DVT, which can have a serious complication like migration of clot in lung. So best course here is to rule that out. We need to work on high caution here for your one sided symptoms as yours and won't recommend waiting for couple of days.Once the DVT is ruled out; there is nothing worrisome and one may employ the following measures (some of which we had discussed); 1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.3) Exercises / physical therapya) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
The additional service is optional and you may not accept it. It is your discretion.