A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I've been having tongue sores past year on the tip

Customer Question

I've been having tongue sores for the past year on the tip and sides of my tongue. They always appear as a yellow spot and then It grows Into a circle or a line. The Inside of the sore Is usually pink or red and the border Is always white/yellow. They
usually feel kinda Irritated or burn and It can sometimes get pretty uncomfortable If I get a lot of them. I've also been having a bad taste/bad breath In my mouth ever since I've been having these problems.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will help you.
Lesions on the tongue can be either bacterial or viral, but the fact that they begin as yellow favors a bacterial basis. However, only an examination and possibly a culture will confirm this. Has your medical provider had a chance to see the lesions?
Best regards,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but he only looked at them for a split second and then disregarded It. Kinda pissed me off because that was a $200 appointment and he didn't really tell me anything. Would you like me to upload some pictures?
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. You can upload the pictures, but only a culture will confirm what is causing the lesions.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what they look like sometimes. The first picture was from when I felt the discomfort. The second was from the next morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and these are from the last couple of days.
Those look like simple aphthous ulcers (canker sores). In teens these are usually simple, last about a week, and only occur 3-4 times a year. No treatment is necessary other then comfort care.
In adults who get them frequently, one needs to look for the underlying cause, which can be a nutritional problem (deficiency in B12, folic acid, iron, etc.), impaired immune system, or perhaps something like celiac disease or other gastrointestinal problem.
Your provider can prescribe antimicrobial mouthwash. You can try to avoid foods that irritate the situation, maintain excellent oral hygiene and ask your physician to determine *why* you have the recurrent problem. Determining why can require some blood work.
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well If I had health Insurance and the money to go again I would definitely get blood work to put my mind at ease. But since It has been close to a year It's starting to worry me, even If I try reducing stress/maintaining good hygiene. What else do you think It looks like or could be?
It really doesn't look like it could be anything else.
If you don't have health insurance you can try one of the free clinics. There is a link below, but you will probably find more in your local telephone directory since most local clinics don't make the national lists.
http://www.justanswer.com/health/97azx-i-ve-having-tongue-sores-past-year-tip.html
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright sweet. I got tested for hiv at 3 months and then again at 6 months and I was negative both times. The first test was the Oraquick In‑Home HIV Single Use Test and the second one at 6 months was the Next day results HomeAccess HIV test. Are they reliable enough to know that I don't have HIV? Because If you just think they are just aphthous ulcers I would kinda like seeing my partner soon. Or should I wait to get blood work..? =\
Yes, you don't have HIV. The tests are reliable.
You do need to get the blood work though to find out why you are having these repeated ulcers. That's for the comfort of your tongue, as well as your general health (i.e. if there is a nutritional deficiency, you can be treated with supplements, etc.).
All the best,
Schuyler
~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Soooo I shouldn't have sex?
There is no problem with having sex, so long as you use protection. While the HIV tests have been negative, the next unprotected episode could give you HIV.
All the best,
Schuyler
~