Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD
20638885

I had a fusion last September of the thoracic spine, now I

Customer Question

I had a fusion last September of the thoracic spine, now I just had a CT scan because I feel like I have a ton of pressure on my back and the CT shows prominent dorsal epidural fat in the upper and mid thoracic spine
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
HelloEpidural fat by itself would not cause any problem to the spinal cord.Fat by nature is soft and does not lead to any pressure on the cord.This is the initial answer.Please use " Reply to expert " if you want any clarifications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So why would I have a the cal sac compression in that same area?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Can you copy the complete report here? I have only said that fat would not cause compression.There may be other structures responsible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
image.jpg
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for uploading the report.Report mentions that prominent fat is present in non operated areas with anterior displacement of thecal sac which is similar to preoperative status.In effect it means that there is no significant compression in these areas.If these areas of thecal sac had been problematic your surgeon would have dealt with these areas at the time of surgery.In fact report suggests that some compression is present in the operated area though less than before.Fat here has been replaced by granulation tissue and that may be responsible for the residual compression at operated area.