Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I also have swelling between my thumb and index finger. The

Customer Question

I also have swelling between my thumb and index finger. The area around my thumb is very painful. It is also very painful to keyboard. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists in 2006. Look forward to hearing back from you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
The possibilities of diagnosis for your symptoms would be;
1) De Quervain Tenosynovitis; it is inflammation of the tendon and its sheath at the base of thumb. It is treated by anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen, deep electrotherapy (short wave, electrical stimulation etc) and physical therapy. A thumb and hand brace too can help with hot fomentation and local analgesic cream.
2) A web space infection can also present like it. If you have redness, tenderness and warmth; you would need an x-ray for the diagnosis and antibiotics for the treatment. Other measure mentioned above may also help. Ice compresses are more helpful here.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I am going to wear my carpal tunnel brace to bed
You are very welcome.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.