Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I have a report of high RBC CNT 6.37 HGB 19.4 and HCT 56.3. I just got off testoster

Customer Question

Hello I have a report of high RBC CNT 6.37 HGB 19.4 and HCT 56.3. I just got off testosterone replacement therapy for over 2 years. I couldnt live like this anymore giving blood all the time. I gave blood last Jun 16th. I will give blood again next Monday. Should I be afraid to work out like running/jogging calisthenics? My testicles have regained their normal size today.Thank Jesus.How long until no more polycythemia?
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
Polycythemia is a disease state in which the proportion of blood volume that is
occupied by red blood cells increases. Blood volume proportions can be measured as hematocrit level. A hematocrit of >55% is seen in polycythemia.The emergency treatment of polycythemia is by venesection, the removal of blood from the circulation.People on testosterone replacement for hypogonadism may develop secondary polycythemia.
Doctors usually advise patients to discontinue TRT if his hematocrit reaches 55%.
It is better to have HCT around 45%.
Depending upon the blood levels of serum testosterone it may take upto 6 weeks for your counts to become normal.
Your blood level will come back normal only after serum testosterone levels are normal.
It may take upto 4 weeks for testosterone levels to come back to normal after last dose.
It is usually advised to do moderate exercise, such as walking, to improve blood flow throughout the body. Having a good blood flow decreases the risk of blood clots. Stretches for legs and ankles, which also enhance blood circulation are helpful.
I hope this helps
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.
I'm here to discuss further queries until you get satisfied with our conversation.
Please press reply button rather than give poor/bad service.
Positive feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.