Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

If Flonase caused anxiety and panic attacks, is it likely that

Customer Question

If Flonase caused anxiety and panic attacks, is it likely that I would have similar results with another steroidal nasal spray (I'm looking at trying Nasacort since it is OTC)? I'm having a terrible time with congestion and I used Afrin last night which worked great, but of course can't continue long term at all. I was on Zyrtec D and just changed to plain Zyrtec as doc thought maybe the long use of decongestents were causing my congestion. I also take Nexium for GERD. I am trying to get in to an allergy or ENT doc but my insurance is dragging feet on it so still waiting for approval. In mean time, I need to breathe and sleep! Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
Not necessary that Nasocort would cause same adverse effects as Flonase.
I would also recommend in vitro (it is a blood test) for allergies. This will identify the allergen for your allergies and you may start SLIT (sublingual immunotherapy). SLIT can resolve the allergies in around one year time and is latest approach for people who have significant allergies causing various issues.
For treating sinus pain and congestion naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the sinus issues and its manifestations;
1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.
2) Ginkgo Biloba
3) Zinc 30 mg.
If you take care of GERD; your symptoms may be controlled better as GERD is known to cause aggravation of sinus issues. GERD is treated as following;
1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the be by 8 inches.
For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;
A. Herbs;
1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint
B. Homeopathy
1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla
C. Nutrition and supplements;
1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil.
Once your insurance kicks in; you may seek a referral to a gastroenterologist for the evaluation of GERD by following;
1) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.
2) 24 hours pH of esophagus
3) Esophageal manometry.
A severe reflux disease and haital hernia can be the culprit for recurrent and severe sinusitis.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best in life.
I added this to above which you may have not seen;
1) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.
2) 24 hours pH of esophagus
3) Esophageal manometry.
It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and compensated for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.