Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have a painful pulse on the right side of my neck, it happens

Customer Question

Hello, I have a painful pulse on the right side of my neck, it happens randomly I don't know what causes it but it is seriously painful when the pulse occurs.
Other symptoms I have and I don't know if they're related, but I get a sharp pain in my chest on the right side which makes it difficult to breath, and when I sit down on a desk chair for a prolonged time I get pins and needles in my legs, and when I get migraines they're on the right side of my head. Don't know if this is useful but per my doctor my arm span is a bit large for my body
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Since when are these symptoms occurring? Do they happen daily? What medications do you take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The symptoms for circa 1 year, the last symptom to arise was the pulses in my neck.I used to play sports such as soccer but for the last few years haven't done any.The neck pulses and pins and needles in my legs happens daily.The pain in my chest happens id say 2/3 times a week. And the migraine used to be everyday but it's Calmed down a lot to about twice a week.I take no medication.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Basically with these symptoms which are affecting multiple organs, I would first like you to consult your doctor and be investigated for inflammation in the vessels which is known as vasculitis. Vasculitis can cause a poor blood flow to tissues throughout the body, such as the lungs, nerves and skin, thereby causing these symptoms. Detection of vasculitis often requires biopsy of tissue that are affected or angiography. After diagnosis and with appropriate treatment your symptoms will reduce.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Would that be causing the painful pulses in my neck? That's my main concern
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Yes vasculitis may be the cause for the painful pulse, and also this disease is known as a “hurting disease”, because it is so commonly associated with pain of one type or another.
Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can be done about it?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Basically there are anti-inflammatory medications which can be prescribed by your doctor and these will control the inflammation in the affected blood vessels and will also decrease the pain.
Take care.