Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Abdominal pressure like a belt tightening that is radiating

Customer Question

Abdominal pressure like a belt tightening that is radiating around to the back. EGD, Colonoscopy, barium Enema and Cat Scan showing nothing but a singular gallstone, but doctors don't think that is the problem. Just prescribed Bentyl, with no relief
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Were you screened for an H pylori stomach infection?
Have you had an MRI of your thoracic and lumbar spines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they did not test for H Pylori., Wouldn't he see this on EGD. This all started while my husband, who is a Type 2 diabetic was having s short bout of constipation. He went to the drug store and purchased on OTC colon cleanse and had immediate results but ended up with this upper abdominal pressure. This has been going on for almost a month and no one seems to have any answers. ED saw a singular gallstone and diagnosed this as the problem as bilirubin was just slightly elevated but GI thought it was something else so proceeded with EGD and colonoscopy and found mild esophagitis,. Meds aren't working anf my husband is miserable. Anything else that you would suggest?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, he wouldn't necessarily see it on the EGD. Is this actual abdominal pain or is it more like gas and bloating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5/10 pressure., No distended abdomen and there has never been pain, Has stretching pain around to the back as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Feels like a belt is tightened around abdomen, or that he has a balloon that is being inflated in his abdomen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why isn't the Bentyl or Protonix helping this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--three possibilities here--
An H pylori infection needs to be screened for
He needs a gastric emptying study to check for gastroparesis--a too-slowly emptying stomach
Finally this could be irritable bowel syndrome but if it is then the Bentyl should help--so if it isn't then IBS is very unlikely here
Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the Bentyl is going to work how long will it take as I understand it is helpful in treating some of the conditions you mentioned
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would gastroparesis just start out of the blue
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, gastroparesis can come on suddenly
I'd give the Bentyl at least a week or two to see if it helps.
Other medication would include Levsin and Donnatal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are those the only other conditions that you think could cause chronic abdominal pressure that radiates around to the back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No burning, burping, gas. Bowel movements are every other day and normal. No burning. Pressure does not change when position changes, 5/10 when it began, 5/10 today 6 weeks later. All organs normal on CT Scan, however he does have a gallstone. Can that cause this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appetite is not affected. Pain medication Norco and Tramadol given for discomfort and has not helped. Any thing else you would suggest he try
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well that's why I asked about the spinal MRI's since it could be a herniated disk radiating the discomfort around to the abdomen.
The gallstone could be the problem but usually that causes right upper quadrant abdominal pain. Probiotics and digestive enzymes might help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressure started in the abdomen and then gradually started radiating/stretching around to the back.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Even so it could be a spinal [problem.
Please remember to rate my service to you