Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a hernia in my shin. After a lot of physical work recently the other side of the sa

Customer Question

I have a hernia in my shin. After a lot of physical work recently the other side of the same shin is becoming red and very stiff. What's happening?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might have another hernia on the lower part of my shin after inspection. To the bottom of the muscle. My foot also has a moment here and there but it might be because of the stiffness?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. First off what exactly do you mean by a hernia in your shin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I don't know how else to describe it. I went to the hospital and they gave me an ultrasound scan I think. (he just held a thing over my leg with some gel) He could see on the screen that it was a hernia and saved images of it. As he pushed on the bump the muscle went back in.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So this is a lump on your leg? And it's red on the outside?
How was it treated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. To the right of my leg I have a hernia. (A small lump on my right side of my shin which is muscle bulging out because of a tare in the wall holding my muscle in). Now after a lot of work. The left of the same shin (not to do with the hernia) has become red and the muscle is quite stiff. I have yet to go back to my GP after the ultrasound.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand. So is the redness warm to the touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. This sounds like a case of cellulitis--skin infection.
You could try applying Neosporin to the red area three times a day for a week but if that doesn't clear it up you need to see your doctor for a course of oral antibiotics
Let me know if you need any more information about this please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've added an image. The whole right of my leg looks swollen! Is that normal. After looking at images on the internet the redness does look a lot like cellulitis.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If there's a lot of swelling then the infection is pretty severe so you need to see your doctor for the antibiotics right away