Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I had a laminectomy in L4-5 in 2009. I also had a linea

Customer Question

Hi. I had a laminectomy in L4-5 in 2009. I also had a linea tear. Can a linea tear affect the bursa in your hip?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Have you had a recent MRI of both your lumbar spine and your hip?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes , and they only showed some inflammation and degeneration around the bones . I also have rheumatoid arthritis . I have had cortisone injection in L4 L5 and S1 joints with no affect
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So there is no problem with any disk pressing on a nerve root?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but there were some bulges there. I went and saw a neurosurgeon and he said that he thought my lower back was not bad enough to operate on and he told me that my problems with my leg was being caused from something else. I have also had cortisone injections in the bursa that has worked but it keeps re- occurring
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Bursitis would only affect the hip area and not the sciatic nerve. And while your leg symptoms do travel in the same direction as the sciatic nerve, that doesn't mean the problem is the nerve itself. You need nerve conduction studies and EMG's of the leg to see exactly what is going on but I suspect the problem is one from a lumbar disk and a nerve root compression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank u for your help. I will ask my doctor to refer me to a nerve specialist when i see him again. Regards Kerry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure Kerry but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Bye for now
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Bye