Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

I'm Tandy,I am a 46 year old librarian. I was diagnosed with

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Tandy,
I am a 46 year old librarian. I was diagnosed with cirrhosis Oct 23, 2013. I had a liver biopsy and a bone marrow transplant and the liver panel to prove the diagnosis! I was on a reduced work schedule (20 hours a week) and my employer knew I was ill. September 4, 2014, I was accused of being intoxicated at work and my Breathalyzer showed a score of .283 and .284! I was not intoxicated, and hadn't anything to drink for 6 months (I tried to drink a beer).
I was fired based upon the breathalyzer score. My urine was negative for drugs and my behavior was not impaired. That abnormally high score is just shy of a coma.
One more thing - in final preparations for a liver transplant I had a blood test for Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, which is a genetic disorder that causes COPD and cirrhosis. Had this test been performed earlier, it would have made a big difference in my treatment.
My question is, "do you know any reason why my breathalyzer score could have been
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
there is a rare Yeast auto brewery defense
where rare yeast fungal infections in the body and gut can cause blood alcohol levels to rise
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10976182
it is also called gut fermentation syndrome
you can read more here
https://www.themedicalbag.com/raredisease/gut-fermentation-syndrome
let me know if you have questions.