Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I was on Lisinopril weeks. developed a raging cough.

Customer Question

I was on Lisinopril for 3 weeks. developed a raging cough. doc wants me to switch to Amlodipine 2.5 tonight.Severe depression runs in my family = I had a sever depression reaction to Hydronchlorothiazide (ironically). my brother did to Spirolactin and my other brother committed suicide while taking an acne drug. should I ask my doc for Ramipril instead you think. I hate this med stuff but my BP is high and my heart wall is thickening.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Since Ramipril and Lisinopril are both ACE inhibitors with a know side effect of a chronic dry cough, if you had that with the Lisinopril you likely would also have it with the Ramipril.
A better alternative in my mind would be verapamil so I think you should ask about that with you doctor