Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Large 20cm hard hematoma on thigh from trauma 2 days ago. Very

Customer Question

Large 20cm hard hematoma on thigh from trauma 2 days ago. Very hard mango-sized area within melon-sized bruise. Will get ultrasound tomorrow.
Is it possible to use liposuction technique to remove the liquid/blood surely pooling in there?
I don't want to wait months like this patient and then have it cut out. What can I do NOW? I go to college in 6 weeks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.
A large hematoma indicate a significant oozing from the soft tissue (fascia, subcutaneous tissue and muscles). Hematoma formation on the other hand also protects from further oozing as it causes pressure on the tissue which prevents further oozing. Thus it is not aspirated for 1-2 weeks, as there is a significant chance of re oozing and re formation of the hematoma. After two weeks if does not resolve significantly; one may consider aspiration.
Meanwhile for 3-5 days; ice compresses are recommended. After that one may employ warm compresses, if there is moderate to severe pain.
Ultrasound many times is also able to assess if there is a fresh oozing.
It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.
Thank you.
Wishing you all the very best.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.
Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.
This additional service offer can be used for
- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.
Thank you.