Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I would like to try the weight loss pill Qsymia. Can you prescribe

Customer Question

I would like to try the weight loss pill Qsymia. Can you prescribe this for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but we don't provide prescriptions here, and considering that Qsymia is also a controlled substance, for a license physician to do so would not only constitute malpractice and put his license in jeopardy, but both he and the customer would be guilty of a felony since he had never seen the patient in his office.

I'll be more than happy to discuss weight loss and medications for it with you if you want to continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found you on a site for online doctors that can prescribe medication. I would have just went to my doctor if i would have known you couldn't prescribe.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can I at least ask why you didn't go to your doctor? And whatever site you looked at wasn't JustAnswer. And like I said before it would be a felony for you to try to get the medicine online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to wait 2 months for an appt. I have already been numerous times for them to test me and tell me there is no medical reason for me to have gained so much weight in a year but after keeping food and exercise journals they say I'm doing everything right to lose weight. I thought trying a weight loss pill would be the next step. I didn't realize that a weight loss pill was just a big deal to get online.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Do you realize that there are no magic pills that simply melt fat away?

And I assume you've had your thyroid function and cortisol levels checked?

And did you know that prescription appetite suppressants like Qsymia are not without significant health risks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to all questions above. Thank you for your help. I'll make an appt with my doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK